Electrical Safety Tips for your Home

Is your home as safe as you think?

We all believe our homes are safe and in general they are.    However, electrical accidents happen more often than we would anticipate.  From watching tv to cooking dinner, electricity is part of our everyday life. It is easy to take it for granted and forget how hazardous it can be.  Some electrical hazards are easy to avoid. Ensuring your home is free of electrical hazards is critical, especially if you have children, pets or grandchildren.  Below are some electrical safety tips that can be implemented around your home to help ensure your home is safe from accidental electrocution and injury.

Keep yourself, children, grandchildren and pets safe from electricity with safety tips you can implement today!

Repair or Replace Damaged Cords – If you notice the protective coating on a cord or wire is worn away, replace it as soon as possible.  Exposed electrical wires or cords can lead to electrical injuries and accidents.

Do Not Use Appliances with Damaged Cords or Wires – Appliances with cords or wires that are cracked, stripped, frayed or melted can cause fires and electrical accidents.  Do not use the appliance.

Don’t overload your outlets – Outlets are designed to handle a specified amount of wattage.  Plugging in too many devices at once could result in both the device and outlet overheating increasing the risk of an electrical fire or explosion.

Install Child Resistant Wall Plates – Wall plates cover unused standard outlets.  They are difficult for children to pry open and access.

Tie up Loose Cords if Children or Pets are in the House – All loose cords should be out of reach to avoid children and pets tugging and chewing on them.

Ensure that Every Light Socket has a Light Bulb in it.

Install GFCI’s in any Room with a Water Source.  They will protect your entire family against electric shock.

Insert Outlet Caps – These caps are inserted into empty receptacles, blocking fingers from interaction with unused outlets.

Install Tamper Proof Outlets – These outlets are designed to keep fingers out and properly rated plugs in.

Avoid using Extension Cords – Extension cords are meant for temporary applications.  Using them on a permanent basis is a hazard to you, your children and your pets.   Running an extension cord through a ceiling or wall can cause them to overheat resulting in a possible electrical fire.  Contact an electrician to install an additional outlet if needed.

Avoid Covering Cords and Wires – Cords and wires are not meant to be covered by rugs or furniture.  They need to be uncovered and spaced apart to avoid overheating.

Avoid Using the Wrong Wattage Light Bulb – Every fixture and lamp have a maximum light bulb wattage printed on the socket.  Always use light bulbs with wattage that is equal to or less than the printed maximum.  Using a higher wattage bulb could overheat the lamp or fixture causing a potential fire.

Keep Electrical Equipment Away from Water – This is obvious.  Water and electricity do not mix.  Do not touch outlets or appliances with wet hands or reach for a plugged-in appliance that has fallen into water.

Stay Safe!

Electricity is powerful and hazardous.  Ensuring your home is free of electrical hazards is critical, especially if you have children, pets or grandchildren. If you have a question, visit our free electrical help page for answers to common electrical questions.  As always, Positricity welcomes the opportunity to serve you when you need a professional electrical contractor for your homecontact us today!

Related Posts
  • Reasons You Shouldn’t DIY A Lighting Installation Read More
  • Benefits of whole home surge protection Read More
  • Five things to look for in an electrician Read More